Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service includes storing and/or sharing certain content on a web server handled by a website hosting supplier. There are different forms of hosting services used for different ends, so let's study them. Thus, you can determine what you need, depending on whether you desire to set up a website, email aliases, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service supplied by given providers, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services are often supported by exhibiting adverts by the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a particular period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is an entirely untrue explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allocate the workload between individual groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different site hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a sort of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given suppliers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting type is good if you desire to share a great amount of images with chums or partners since the solution is typically free of cost. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to tackling your email aliases. Some suppliers offer site hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an email hosting solution. If you would like to keep an email address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting quotas. Embedding the video will enable you to keep as many videos as you want to without hassling about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to run a website. To some degree, it embodies all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mail accounts, upload videos, etc. At FastFlashWeb, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one single location. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting account may be better or worse compared to the regular email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for particular content solely.